Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Cozy Comfort


       


         The rain is heavy this morning slanting slightly from east to west.  It creates a soothing rhythm.  The ground has cracked opening itself in thirst, as it has been dry and unusually hot for weeks now.  The chickens emerge from the coop despite the rain, pecking the ground for the corn I just tossed. The rain is a relief.

         Sheltered beneath the porch, aside from necessary chores in the house, I suspect that I will perch here in cycles of reading, writing and observing.  In this weather long pants, a sweater and socks are required.  As I gaze out toward the garden, the greens are lush; the window boxes line the porch with geraniums, their heads bent toward the rain show an intensified red. The rain gives life and vibrancy and it prompts me to slow down and notice.

         Today is all about cozy comfort.  Everyone needs a day like this to retreat on the porch with a cup of hot tea and a good book.

No comments: