Sunday, August 18, 2013

Save the WEED!


If I could manage it, I would have a field of “weeds.” According to the Merriam Webster dictionary, “a weed is a plant that is not valued where it is growing. “ Through more than a half-century of living, a good deal of my time has been devoted to contemplating the perplexing station of Queen Anne’s Lace, which is considered a weed.  How do you measure value of a plant? This blossom cannot be eaten, it doesn’t have a pleasing scent, and it heartily grows wild, yet in my opinion its’ beauty outweighs all the things that it is not. It is symmetrical.  Each head is comprised of a multitude of small clusters of individual blossoms seemingly suspended and further a satellite of tiny blooms.   From an engineering standpoint, this plant must be the subject of study for delicate, yet functional construction.  Forget the ‘field of dreams’.  I just want a field of these lacy blooms.

No comments: