Saturday, May 3, 2008

Once a Biddeford Landmark

 
Posted by Picasa

As a young woman, my mother was a secretary at the Pepperell Manufacturing Company. I imagine that she would glance up at this clock that adorned the factory and hurry along high heels clicking so she would not be late for work.
Having only one vehicle in those days, I remember impatiently waiting in the car with my father for my mother to emerge from the main entrance of the building at the end of the day. After a long day of work, my mother would often pack a picnic and we would head for the sandy beach for a summer supper and more than likely a swim too.
(As an aside...my brother who is a historian/trivia buff told me that Francis Spencer from Biddeford and the inventor of Velux blanket used to go up and wind this clock. On a recent visit to Costa Rica, my bed had a Velux blanket on it. I smiled to think of the world connection.)

No comments: