Saturday, March 30, 2013

Drawing Blood, Drawing Attention


The window has been opened letting the cool fresh air in since earlier this afternoon.  It remains open to the darkness letting the cats come in and venture out.  Harry, my grey beauty stands on the window ledge surveying me hunched over my laptop.  He decides to leap outside into the darkness, the unknown.  Harry is fearless having once captured a bird quadruple his size. The bird fought against capture, the expansive free wing beat against Harry’s upper body, but the bird was not dropped. 

Each night Harry sleeps pressed against my left shoulder.  Just before dawn, he shifts to reclining on my chest.  In partial wake, I pat.  Sleep overtakes me, the strokes stop and the biting begins.   This is a never fail way to get my attention, to draw blood.  I guess I am a pushover because when Harry wants attention, Harry gets attention.

Gratefully, the blackness of night was much more interesting for Harry, at least for now.  

No comments: