Sunday, March 3, 2013

Opportunities


I am not a morning person. Seldom do I hop out of bed ready for the day, unless I am catching a plane or one of my kids are sick or something.  I am a, “Just 5 more minutes, pleeease, oh pleeeease!” I often implore my husband who tends to bolt out of bed, awake and ready. 

During this sacred time of the nineteen day fast, the alarm sounds in the darkness of the early morn.  When I was growing up, my family abided by the laws of lent.  No meat on Friday and before the first day of lent you would make a promise to give something up like candy or something as a spiritual sacrifice.  I was never much good at that.  Maybe I was too young, too immature.  But as an adult, I recognize the potency of this time and opportunity for renewal. 

My biggest struggle is to rise in darkness.  I like the light.  The shades are open to allow the sunshine to find its’ way in and kiss me awake in light and warmth.  This morning, my alarm was set across the bedroom, so when it sounded I bound toward it in one leap to turn it off.  The annoyance of the alarm’s tone tends to arouse and I shuffled toward the kitchen for wake-up coffee.   During the fast, all food and drink must be consumed before sunrise.  The night before, I plan my strategy of attack.  How do I get the most sleep in and eat and drink before sunrise?  This morning, I had the cold quart of milk kefir, the mix of whole grain cereals, banana, bowls and spoons all lined up for quick assembly while the water boiled for the French press. This strategy allowed a twenty-five minute period to pass from the time I shut off the alarm to when I sipped the last of the coffee.  I admit, my description is not very spiritual at this point, but as the nineteen days progress, I become keenly aware of the seasonal changes and expansive nature of light.  It also helps to remind me how grateful I am to ordinarily have a full belly and plenty of fresh food and water, while others are without.  That is their daily existence. 

The sacrifice of sleep expands my day of prayer and reflection. With my husband by my side following breakfast this morning and bird song in the background, we carefully selected prayer and sat in silent meditation. 

It is now lunch hour.  I will not eat again until sunset. Instead I will pray when ordinarily I would mindlessly be eating.  Some days are easier to get through than others, but I am ready for the wisdom and guidance that comes with slowing down, living more mindfully, spiritually and taking note of the many bounties I have in my life-grateful that I have an opportunity to grow and affect a change in my world.  A change for the better in my thoughts, words and deeds.

No comments: