Saturday, March 23, 2013

Trickery


The chicks have changed in ten days.  When we got them they were just two days old-little yellow balls of puff, unsteady on their new legs.  Now stronger, every now and again I watch one reach and stretch back on a single leg and spread its’ wings sporting newly formed feathers.  The growth process is fast motion and quite entertaining to watch. 

Innately, they peck for bugs, although there are no bugs to be found in their little pen.  Earlier today, I watched the brood chase one chick with what was thought to be a worm. It was held tightly, a prized possession.  After dropping it suddenly, the smallest picked it up and ran helter-skelter with no one in particular taking notice of the thin thread of brown wood dangling and life-less.

The thought of gifting them with a worm came to mind, but it is out of the question.  We still have a ground cover of snow. A few weeks ago temperatures hit fifty degrees.  I began to believe that spring had arrived, but soon learned that it was trickery, like the worm.  Regardless, I insist on thinking spring.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the trickery that finds itself again. Beautiful, close birds' eye view (pun intended).

travelinma said...

I appreciate your comment. I love puns! :)

Andrea said...

I would imagine that watching these little chicks must be quite entertaining. It definitely feels like trickery now that winter seems to be holding on for dear life.

Chris H. said...

This brings back memories of growing up on the farm. The post office would call our house the morning that the chicks arrived in the cardboard box with zillions of holes in it. We'd drive to town and pick them up, listening to the peeping while peeking into the box at the fluffy yellow feathers and tiny little beaks. They were so interesting and sweet... and brought us great joy until they were bigger and white. Then it was work!

Jackie said...

I am curious as to how you got these chicks. They are so cute. It reminds me of the post I wrote about my pet chicken, Peppy the chicken who thought he was a cat. I hope the winter stops tricking you and you will be able to find a worm when the spring comes. Jackie http://familytrove.blogspot.com/

Kay said...

Winter/spring has been quite tricky this year. I can just picture those chicks racing around. What are you raising the chicks for? I've wanted chickens for eggs, but now I settle for our neighbor who does the work and sells us the eggs.

travelinma said...

When I ordered the chickens, it was a balmy 50 degrees. However, when they arrived one frigid morning in the smallest cardboard box with holes it in, it was 20 degrees. They were born on the 13th of March and arrived in Maine on the 15th from Ohio. Quite a distance for such wee chicks.

Kay, we are raising them for eggs. This variety of chicken will lay at 5.5 months.

Unknown said...

I would love to have egg layers. People in the suburbs are afraid of urban chickens, though. So, no chickens for us. We do have bees, though. They, too, have been confused by the weather, I think. The trees and flowers are producing pollen, but the bees will be clustered tonight as the temperatures dip below freezing.

Thanks for sharing about the chicks and the "worm." It was almost as fun as watching their antics myself.

travelinma said...

Oh Chris, someday I would love to have bees. I hope that they can continue to endure this crazy weather.

I was looking at a book about chicken coops the other day. Most of the highlighted designs were for "city" dwellers. Very creative and appealing.