Monday, March 11, 2013

Just Am


I could blame it on a lot of things, but sometimes it just isn’t worth the energy it takes to analyze, but I just can’t help it.  Winter’s been long.  As the days lengthen, the long hours of darkness that I have grown accustomed, almost unaware of, begin to close in on me.   Tonight my belly is full of stew with root vegetables and a lightly seasoned broth, my body supported by my Lazy Boy knock-off, the constant snap of the burning wood keeps me warm but awake, ever so slightly.  My breath moves in and out, a slow easy rhythm.  For a few moments, I accept solitude and quiet.  Clearly content, I do not move.  There is not reason to move. 

Suddenly, my eyes snap open and my mind comes to attention.  The time?  What time is it?  All sense of time is lost in my dozing and I think, Bed time!   I check:  barely 7 p.m.  Embarrassingly early. 

I write.  I doze.  I yawn.  My eyes roll and my chin drops to my chest catching me from a deep sleep.  I am awake to write just a few words.  And then my eyes close again.  I am headed to bed and I won’t even note the time. It really doesn’t matter why I am so tired.  I just am.  

5 comments:

Unknown said...

It happens.

The body doesn't lie, and sleep is a weapon. Just think how fresh and spry you will be for Spring!

Unknown said...

It happens.

The body doesn't lie, and sleep is a weapon. Just think how fresh and spry you will be for Spring!

Anonymous said...

This is so well written I could picture it! Been there. With you on the too long winter. Tis time for spring!

travelinma said...

Brian, I will keep you posted on my fresh spry self once spring hits in these parts. It is going to be awhile I am afraid!

And Beth, thank you for your kind words. Winter was just fine with me until the last few days. I should not complain at all. I like winter and the changing of seasons.

LibraryDragon/Storykeeper said...

Spring has always been connected with hope and rebirth.