Wednesday, March 13, 2013

In the Middle of Living


Not long before my mother passed, she was sitting on the couch with her legs propped up on an oversized hassock, Woman’s Day and Family Circle magazines mixed with the several issues of the local newspapers-The Portland Press Herald and the Journal Tribune surrounded her.  She must have been thinking about this for some time because the question seemed to pop out of nowhere, “What did I do in my life that was great and significant?”  Then with barely a breath taken, incredulously she added, “Nothing!”  I was dumbfounded.  My sweet, sweet mother sacrificed so much for me.  “Are you kidding?  Being a mother is pretty great! I would not be who I am today without you.”  A little older now, I understand her query. Had she lived her life in a virtuous way? She was sick and had good reason to reflect.   

Tonight we spent sometime at the funeral parlor, honoring a dear friend that passed.  He was relatively young, in his early 60’s. He was beloved in our community.  The line snaked out the door. He always had a smile and was ready to help another. 

Walking back to the car hand in hand with my husband, I was reflecting on this fragile life, my family and my partner of 32 years. How would I choose to live my last few years, months, days, or hours?  Have I used my God-given talents to serve others?  Have I treated others with respect and compassion?  Have I been truthful and trustworthy?  I don’t have to wait to be sick to ask these questions.  I can be in the middle of living my life and reflect. ?  I mustn’t wait for some tragedy to shake me out of my sleep.  Isn’t this what living mindfully is all about? 

6 comments:

Tammy said...

It's a tough question isn't it? I would say by the description of your friends long line of family and friends he did amazing thing in his life. I'll bet you and your mother have too.

Jackie said...

Your post got me thinking, too. Now that I am retired...I feel I need to do some kind of service. the older we get it seems the more we reflect on what we have done in service to others.

Chris said...

It's great to be reflective - to make sure we're doing things to help others and fill our hearts. Sorry about your friend. Your post sure gives us something to think about!

travelinma said...

Thank you all. It is good to reflect, for sure.

jmagee said...

What great questions! You've definitely given me something to think about tonight :)

Tam said...

They do say death is for the living--to deal with, think about, and maybe change within. I'm retired and think about it all the time. We're here to help others for sure.