Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Just a Little Glitch


I was already planning what I could do with all my extra free time.  We were without internet in the house this morning. Just a little glitch.  X-Boxes, Play Stations, ipods and smart phones would not function to their ultimate capability.  Our world was rocked.

Don’t get me wrong, I rely on the internet to stay connected with family and friends through Facebook and email.  I get sucked in as easily as anyone, maybe even more so.  The more practical uses of the internet like blog postings, shopping, email,  and messaging saves me a lot of time personally and professionally.

 On my drive to work, I was planning a life of electronically-free bliss, but a little big piece of me wants to hang onto the ease and the connections that are made.   I am really not sure why. It feeds my compulsive personality for I find myself continually checking for emails and messages.  Innately, I know I spend much too much time connected, when other things beckon like a nice late afternoon walk in the woods, tackling my pile of unread books, art work, knitting or hanging with family and friends or (my favorite) cleaning the house. 

I suspect that this is my way of coping with the crush of pressing responsibilities and stress that just won’t go away. A little escapism never hurt anyone.   With  limited use, I must broaden my repertoire of activities that feed me-spiritually and emotionally.  I know it is not technology.  

7 comments:

Jackie said...

I think it is all about balance. I am married to a computer programmer...so we have all the kinds of tech gadgets. We have had the internet go down a couple of times...and like you, I wondered about the connection I would miss with my family and friends. But I think that kind of connection is good. I have kept up with far more friends and family than I have before Facebook. You must take some time to participate with the other world...the natural world...walks in the park...dinner with no tech stuff...visiting friends and family. You sound like you are doing fine. Jackie http://familytrove.blogspot.com/

Emily B. said...

I feel the exact same way! I am constantly connected, and I always feel like it is our generation. I am in my mid-20's and my parents always mock me for being so connected. While there are practical uses, I see myself being attached to my phone rather than making conversation. It is such a compulsion, I even do it on dinner dates with my boyfriend. I, too, need to look elsewhere to fill myself. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

I like how you write a word and cross it out rather than replace it with a different intensity of the same word. Nice craft technique.

travelinma said...

Thank you all for visiting and commenting. It is appreciated.

Ellen, I saw someone else use that technique on their blog a few days ago. When I read this piece to my husband he argued that really a BIG piece of me wants to hang onto technology! I was using a little creative license! :)

Mandy said...

I feel the same way! It's hard to find a balance & "just right" degree of connectedness (??). I'm also guilty of, after being unconnected, spending just as much time catching up!

MaryHelen said...

I liked your strike out craft as well. It invites the reader to see a piece of thinking. Technology - it's a wonderful thing.

make.share.give said...

We are kind of addicted to technology at our house too. Any interesting thing is an opportunity for a blog post :)
Thank you for the sweet compliment. I'll share pictures of my projects soon!