Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Risks


“More than half will not survive to maturity,” the woman behind the counter stated evenly.  This was something that I had not considered or a reality I chose not to remember.  My husband and I were not novice chicken owners.   We had done it before.  Less than a decade ago meant a spring visit to the “Seed and Feed” for a half dozen chicks to round out our flock.  Now, I was just at the ordering stage.  I wasn’t supposed to consider death so early in the process, was I?

It seems that all the latest magazine issues that passed through my hands like Mary Jane Farm, Martha Stewart Living, and Mother Earth News had articles about chicks, chickens and their care. Devouring each, reinforced my resolution to become a bit more self-sufficient and led me to inquire about ordering chicks.  Sweet little fluffy balls with feet and beaks and doting buff colored adult hens were modeled inside the pages, glossy and perfect.  None reminded the novice of the pitfalls or heartache of ownership.  The only image that I have held in my mind is the energy those young ones possess and the loud chorus of chirps, almost deafening at times as we set the brood in a tall box for comfort and safety. We all gather and watch.  If you sit long enough you can watch them grow and change.  The anticipation and excitement of new life in the house quickens my breath and yet, the unknown fate of the birds is a reality and leaves an inkling of dread.

Yet, there is not much in this life that does not come with risks.   Mutual reliance is a basic condition that accompanies poultry ownership and outweighs the possibility of heartache.

No comments: