Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Navigating Through Fear


There is a storm raging outside.  The wind howls.  I take my glasses off and slip them into my pocket, the snow a horizontal curtain.  This weather reminds me, of my recent scary trip south to be with my brother at an appointment.  Driving again in this weather makes me want to throw up.  I punch the radio button to distract myself with tunes.   

Most cars are moving along, while others are slowly cautious.  The roads look slushy and icy.  I glance at my speedometer.  30 mph.  A quick check in the rear view reveals that there is someone behind me.  My eyes remain on the road ahead.  Not one to cave to the peer pressure by other drivers to speed up, I yell to the guy on my bumper as though he can hear, “You’ll have to wait.  I’m going slow.”

As the cars seem to roar towards me from the opposite lane, gripping the wheel I pray aloud, “Please stay on your side of the road.  Don’t smash into me!”

Suddenly I realize, I can only control my little Toyota Corolla.  Deep breaths clear my mind, and I come to just as Mandi, the DJ on KISS (who happens to be my niece) awards a listener concert tickets to Bare Naked Ladies, Ben Folds Five and Guster.  I imagine Mandi’s smile through the phone line, as the two discuss these bands. I laugh at myself because I cannot recall a song by Bare Naked Ladies (who I at least know are guys) and I have never heard of the other two bands or maybe it is just one band.  I haven’t a clue.

Sometimes, my ability to laugh at myself helps me through tough times in my life, all those slippery slopes. I’m determined to land on my feet.

1 comment:

Jackie said...

I so often find myself telling the car behind me to get off my tail! I know they can't hear me...but I say it anyway. I loved how the radio brought you back to knowing that you can't control the others...but you can control your own car. How fun to have a niece dj on the radio. Jackie http://familytrove.blogspot.com/