Friday, March 21, 2014

Opportunities


No one can take away your education.  The evidence of my degrees are on display in my classroom.  When I go to a new doctor, I look at their degree on the wall noting how recent they were educated and where they received their training.  Is it my undying curiosity or does it really matter whether a doctor is trained at Harvard or The University of New England?  I sound like a snob.  

This afternoon I offered to help a teacher.  She is new to our school and has infused enthusiasm and passion into our daily interactions.  I wanted to let her know that my presence in her class would prove not be burdensome and that I am particularly passionate about writing.

“I taught First Grade for years.  I love writing. I don’t get much of a chance to write with kids anymore. I’m a writer….mentor….I’m taking courses.”

“Let me think about it,” she replied.

I was floored.

“I don’t want to force myself on you,” I tried to repair “If I can help, I’d love to.”

In reflection,  I blew it.  Did I overwhelmed her?  Unintentionally this turned into a conversation about me and the fringes of how I have the capacity and desire to help.
  

My degrees are on display in my classroom.  I only wanted to help.   Monday is another school day, an opportunity for me to learn again.

No comments: