Thursday, April 11, 2013

A Little Boy's Dream


All day you were on my mind.  Perhaps if you had known what a monumental day it was you would have freaked, just a bit.  I bet you don’t know just how often I think of you.  From the first time I met you when you were eight years old, there was something about you, a sweet gentleness.  I have always loved you. Always.

I can still picture you playing with your coveted Matchbox collection on the deck with your red ball cap tilted back on your head.  The “putt-putt-putting” sound and then the ultimate clashing crash.  You would play for hours.  Happy.

You were also happy with our dear Ozzie dog.  You could not resist those sad eyes or the swish of his tail.  That dog was spoiled in your arms.  Then there was Shiloh.  Remember how he used to howl his signature beagle howl?  Tears rolled down your freckled cheeks when you found out about the life he had before he came to us. You asked in a small shaky voice, “Why would anyone hurt a dog?  Why?” My eyes burned with tears and I wondered why too.  We cried together, perhaps for different reasons.

Today, I cried for you.  It has been a tough ride.  We both know that.  With the support of a lot of people who love you, a milestone was reached.  You were accepted to college.  That is a big deal.  You can fulfill your dream.  Since you were little, you have had an obsession with cars.  You will use your hands and work under hoods.  This is always where you dreamed you would be, since you were a little boy pushing those Matchbox cars around the deck.  Now, you have to make it happen. I am so very proud of you and all that you have overcome.  Make that little boy’s dream come true.



1 comment: