Saturday, April 6, 2013

The Power to Protect


Facebook reminds me of parenting.  The participant of either adventure is thrown into the arena without an operator’s guide.  As an adult, I have faced some pretty perplexing social situations including being the victim of adult bullying and harassment.  Despite my age and apparent wisdom, I feel ill-prepared to deal with some of these situations.

Some people just do not have boundries, while some people choose to be uncivil and unkind through the face-less world of Facebook. This is confusing for young brains and developing future citizens.  That is why we have structured supervised use of Facebook.  My husband and I have been accused of being over-protective and old fashioned.  We are just trying to protect and educate, so that Facebook can be a tool enjoyed by family and friends to unite and celebrate.

So far, our contractual agreement we have with our daughter is not working.  My 12 year old befriended an adult male from Africa and another from Asia.  She does not know either nor did she understand that she did indeed befriend them.  It is not that I have not had these conversations over and over.  She also got a warning, “Do you know these people.  You have a large number of friend requests that are unconfirmed.”   All these connections made while at a friend’s house.  Did you know that parents can be blocked, new accounts made, passwords held secretly or changed with the reply, “I don’t know. I forgot.”  It is an unraveling of various underground accounts with little recourse to protect. Frankly, it is a frighteningly slippery slope.

As much as I love technology, it is sometimes a nightmare.  My husband and I continue to seek the advice of technical consultants, educators and therapists to set structures to protect and educate. 

If by chance, my girl should befriend you under yet another Facebook account, please let me know.  


1 comment:

Phyllis Ring said...

My heart and prayers are with you, Barbara. This is all getting quite tricky, even possibly treacherous, indeed. xxx