Monday, April 29, 2013

The Debate Rages


A debate rages in my head. I am passionate about writing, and I have gone through phases over the last few decades in which I write everyday.  Then there are those long stretches that have included little dribbles of what I would term as writing. Am I a writer?

The truth is there are some days that I feel like a writer.  Then there are those days that I stare at the computer screen and everything is one big blank.  The words do not come easily.  I slowly came to the realization that that is the life of a writer.  The single most important thing is to “just do it.”  It sounds quite easy, but it’s not.

There is time.  I schedule writing periods that are carved into my day. After 9 p.m. is not my most ideal time. This discovery became clear this evening- as  I view a blurred computer screen through eyes that close without a single command. The deep lion-like yawns leave me blurry eyed and wanting to sleep.  

Tomorrow is another day for contemplating my worth as a writer.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The debate never really ends, you know. I still debate if I am a writer. I still struggle with those blank pages and finding writing time and days I think my work is crap. What makes you a writer is this: You sit in the chair and do the work. That's it. Poof! You're a writer!