Sunday, March 26, 2017

A Short Selfie


A few pounds and born early
Make for a "hopeless case."
My mother prayed to St. Jude.
I lived.

As a kid I got car sick, 
Preferring the shade of forest trees,
Splashing in the salty sea or
Alone in a field
Fingers pink with wild berries-
I ate them as I picked.

I sing with the radio
Often the wrong words.
Baking pies is not my thing,
Picnics are.

I have slept
Floating in the middle of a lake,
Watching the stars fall.

War scares me.
I am not afraid of the dark.
Reading five books at once
Makes me nuts.
I like naps
And I consider myself 
Among the few 
Lucky enough to have found
True Love.

(Inspired by and Adapted from: A Short Collective Biography-Amy Krouse Rosenthal found in Textbook)

11 comments:

Paula Bourque said...

I really, really love this. You honor Amy so well with this poem and it speaks volumes to your beautiful life. I really want to try this! Thank you!

travelinma said...

Try it. It was so much fun. I think I will do it at Young Authors' Camp this summer.

Mary Ann Reilly said...

I love this. Like a collective biography you could read in wikipedia--but better. Poetic. I love the stanza about sleeping in the middle of the lake...

Unknown said...

This is such an interesting format for a biography. So succinct!
Thank you for including the information on where you found the idea. Must try!

Linda B said...

Amy inspired us all by her written words, honoring those special little things. I love reading your brief bio that said much about who you are.

travelinma said...

Listening to Neil Young....fairy wind blowing through my hair. ;)

Judy said...

A great format in honor of a great author. I loved getting to know more about you. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

I'm wondering about this format now. From what I googled, it would be statements that are true about everyone in the group--but yours is about you, yes?

travelinma said...

Yes, you are correct. I was inspired by this idea and adapted it as noted. I would love to have a dinner party and do just that-write a collective short biography. Intriguing.

Angela Faulhaber said...

this is beautiful! I just read that book so I need to go back and find the piece that inspired your amazing writing! thanks for inspiring me!

travelinma said...

Pages 158-160. I would love to have a dinner party and do this very thing! Wouldn't you?