Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Just What Is Going On?



I gently peel back the curtain, carefully revealing the light of day. A frenzy of jays are on the ground and on the platform feeder gorging.  A lone chickadee flits from branch to twig waiting a turn.  A couple of mourning doves feed on the mounds of seed that have fallen to the ground,  the result of the fights between flocks and the gulping appetite of aggressive jays.  A lone crow, slight compared to the thickness of the ravens who visited a few days ago is perched high in the craggy apple tree. Simultaneously a downy woodpecker flutters for space on the suet, the bigger hairy woodpecker gave notice and makes room. It is as entertaining as watching a three-ring circus. For three months, I have kept a log weather and of activity at the feeder.  For three months I have never witnessed a mix of birds feeding at once, always jays with jays, chickadees with chickadees and titmouse alone with their own kind.  Just what is going on?

For days we have been anticipating a big winter storm with nearly two feet of snow.  I think the birds are getting ready.  Keith Carson, our local weatherman says we are "going to be crushed!" I can't wait.

7 comments:

Paula Bourque said...

Hey, I just noticed we have the same weather man! And my post today was about spotting my first Red-Winged Blackbird yesterday! I love it when my thoughts are in sync with other slicers. Hang on today and enjoy the power of Stella!

travelinma said...

Congratulations on sighting your first red winged blackbird. I was astonished to find that the female holds little resemblance to the male. I have sighted them on my property, but not at the feeder yet. I was so thrilled that Keith returned to Maine. He loves it here because our weather is so CRAZY. Stay safe and warm.

Kristi Lonheim said...

That is so interesting! I don't know much about birds and we sure aren't going to get the snow storm here in Saudi. May you enjoy both - birds and storm.

Mary Ann Reilly said...

Birds seem to become active before a big storm. Smart of them. They feel the pressure dropping--announcing for them the storm that is hours away. We are being clobbered here in northern NJ. A glorious snow.

travelinma said...

I am hunkering down and enjoying both! Thank you for commenting. It means a lot to me.

travelinma said...

This is not consistent however. Today the storm is just beginning and there are no birds feeding. I would think that they would gorge until the couldn't. I am going to get cozy and enjoy!

Linda B said...

Great to see the birds. Our spring birds are around now in our warm weather. It's amazing that many of you in the east are hunkering down inside because of that big storm. Glad you're going to get cozy!