Monday, April 3, 2017

Control and Order


The image begins to sharpen.
Before adjusting the lens
everything is a blur.
I see the little yellow birds feeding furiously.

For months now,
since shortly after Jerry's death
I have observed the living-
collecting data such as bird sightings and weather.

I thought that recorded observations would provide answers,
but instead
it prompts more questions.

Noisy jays visit one day and not the next,
this morning goldfinches perch
for the first time ever, feeding
while speckled starlings cling to the worn suet bag
and cooing mourning doves feed on the ground.

Carefully, I record the date,
the birds,
the temperature
and the weather.
I last filled the feeder yesterday.
Control and order
I realize
are really illusions.










2 comments:

Mary Ann Reilly said...

After Rob died I had a fascination with. Irks, especially Cardinals. Today I saw a male cardinal,in all,his glory sitting by himself on the wire in front of my home,

I think it is interesting the care you have taken with your observations.,

Carol Varsalona said...

I see that Mary Ann linked up with you. That's good. I agree with Mary Ann, your observations are keen.