Thursday, April 13, 2017

The Peace of the Wild Things

                                                                                  Photo by Travelinma

When despair for the world grows in me
 and I wake in the night at the least sound
 in fear of what my life and my children's lives may be,
 I go and lie down where the wood drake
 rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
 I come into the peace of wild things
 who do not tax their lives with forethought
 of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
 And I feel above me the day-blind stars
 waiting with their light. For a time
 I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.
                                                                -Wendell Berry




2 comments:

Linda B said...

I love these words from Wendell Berry. I just read a friend's post and thought you would enjoy the quote she shared. See what you think! “she had long accepted the fact that happiness is like swallows in Spring. It may come and nest under your eaves or it may not. You cannot command it. When you expect to be happy you are not, when you don't expect to be happy there's suddenly Easter in your soul, though it be midwinter.”
― Elizabeth Goudge, The White Witchl

travelinma said...

It may come and nest under your eaves or not. Acceptance....letting go.