Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Time Stood Still




He opened the choke, pulled the cord
it took a few times
before we were headed down
the pond
slowly,
he trolled for fish
through the no-wake zone.

The stern
was loaded with gear,
fishing poles,
tackle boxes
with sinkers, bobbers
and the latest and greatest
lures,
the bow was weighted down
with a canvas bag loaded with
books, magazines
a journal,
water,
snacks
sunscreen and natural bug repellent-
ready for the long haul.

Once in the open water
the boat sped passed
islands
rounded mountains ahead
evergreens shadowed,
we motored along
the outboard robbing
our sense of hearing,
sights heightened
thick trees as far as we could see
on either side of the water.

We headed in the direction of the beach
mounded with bits of pink granite,
he killed the engine in a cove across the way,
water lilies dotted the area
a warm breeze lifted the sweet scent,
he dressed his line with a worm,
flicked the pole,
the line reaching,
the boat drifted
and he paddled us
into the perfect position
where he swore he was going to
catch a fish,
while I snapped photos of the lilies,
read, journaled
leaned my back against the bow,
watching my husband
so happy
the sun shining on us,
as time
stood still.




12 comments:

Melanie Meehan said...

Nice that the two of you can share passions, even though they are different. Your images and lists capture the day and the appreciation for all of it beautifully.

Unknown said...

I love how you captured the day in free verse. Very moving words and images.

Unknown said...

I like the style of this post.

Lisa Corbett said...

Sounds like a lovely, memorable day!

Mary Ann Reilly said...

A preserved moment in time. I fish like you: read, photograph and write:)

travelinma said...

A perfect arrangement in my mind.

travelinma said...

Thank you, it was quite a day.

travelinma said...

Thank you for reading and commenting.

travelinma said...

I have been writing like this for days. My brain is wired this way lately.

travelinma said...

Thank you. It was perfect.

Judy said...

I felt like I was drifting along with you. I too fish like you, just along for the ride. Thanks for sharing this delightful memory.

Linda B said...

I'm glad you showed us this day. I know I would have loved it too, and settled in to just "be". Lovely and loving, Barbara.