Thursday, March 10, 2016

The Lasting Charm of Billy Goats



How many times has the troll threatened a billy goat over the last several days?  Too numerous to count.  For a couple of weeks, I have listened to this tale being read by a first grader.  I marvel at this student's ability to attend to punctuation and change his voice into one engaged in a conversation.  As he reads page after page, even though I have heard this tale read over and over; I smile.  This kid is reading.  I am engaged and he has my attention. This small hard cover pocket-sized book is sure to remain in this young reader's mind as one of the "first books." He'll remember how smooth the cover felt in his hands.  He'll remember how it smells and the thickness of the pages.  He'll remember.

Lucky am I to witness these moments that are so instrumental in developing a confident, independent learner.

No comments: